Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Definitive Word ~ Immunizations in Montana

I have been on a path of inquiry regarding immunization requirements here in Montana. I started by e-mailing Mike Jopek, Representative for HD4, local farmer, and friend. He suggested I start by contacting State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Denise Juneau, which I did by e-mail. She passed my query to the proper person/agency.

I received a response this morning from Cathy Kendall, Administrator of the State's Health Enhancement & Safety Division. Following is the full text, my questions preceding her responses in red:

Good morning,

In response to your questions:

Will state vaccine exemption laws apply if my child goes to school and
they are vaccinating the school’s staff and students with the pandemic flu
vaccine?

No child or adult is required to receive an influenza vaccination.

-- Will informed and voluntary consent be obtained from parents prior to the
administration of a seasonal or pandemic flu vaccine?

Yes

-- Will our right to decline these shots based on our religious beliefs, or
for health reasons‹such as severe allergies/anaphylaxis to normal vaccine
ingredients‹be honored?

Yes

Let me know if you have further questions and I will search out answers for you. Thanks for the inquiry.

Cathy Kendall
Administrator
Health Enhancement & Safety Division
PO Box 202501
Helena MT 59620
406-444-0829
cakendall@mt.gov
Fax: 406-444-2955

No comments: